Monday, February 16, 2015

War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells - A Book Review

One of my favorite ways to relax in the evening is to listen to an audio book on  Librivox while playing games that give downloaded on my tablet. I try to give myself 30 minutes or so before I go to bed for this. Librivox had a large selection of books in all categories to listen to and most of them are free.

Last night I finished listening to The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells. This book is considered by many to be one of the very first science fiction novels and a sort of template for many of the science fiction novels to come. I am a fan of science fiction and found this story of Martian invasion fascinating. Some of the descriptions in the book are graphic but they serve to give the reader (or listener, as I was) almost a sense of being there. The author does a good job of balancing describing in detail the scenes and also moving the story forward quickly enough to keep the reader engaged. The tripod machines used by the Martians, the descriptions of the Martians themselves and the weapons they used, the varied reactions of the human race, and the somewhat surprising demise of the invading Martians will linger in my mind. I highly recommend this book for any Science Fiction fan.





LINKING HERE
The Book Nook MONDAY - Literacy Musing Mondays

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Thanks for talking back at Harvest Lane Cottage!
    I've never heard of Librivox. I have an IPod Touch, but I've never listened to a book on it.
    It's a pleasure to meet you.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter and I just checked out Librivox. Can't wait to try it out!

    Have a great week

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete