Monday, February 23, 2015

Treasures in Ecclesiastes - Part 1: Morning Musing Over Coffee



At small group Friday evening someone shared some verses from Ecclesiastes. listening to those verses reminded me again how much I enjoy this (I think) underused book of the Bible. I've heard it said that Ecclesiastes is depressing and some parts can be. Like this verse in the beginning of the book. 

"Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless! " Ecclesiastes 1:2

Yikes! It sounds like someone needs some Prozac. Or a glass of wine. Or a hug. Something!!!

But there is also a wealth of interesting, encouraging words in this somewhat unusual book. And for the next few days I'm going to be sharing some of them.

Here is one for today.

A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see is from the hand of God. Ecclesiastes 2:24

Sometime as I go through my daily routine I wonder what the point is, or if there's really any value in the (sometimes seemingly mundane) work that I'm doing. But here it seems like He's telling us that it's OK to find satisfaction in the everyday work. And I'm reminded that even in the mundane His hand is there. 

This is not take away from the fact that He gives us dreams and works in our lives for even greater good but while we are on that journey we should not forget to see see the beauty and take satisfaction in today.

Here are the links to the entire series.

Treasures in Ecclesiastes Part 1
Treasures in Ecclesiastes Part 2
Treasures in Ecclesiastes Part 3
Treasures in Ecclesiastes Part 4
Treasures in Ecclesiastes Part 5
Treasures in Ecclesiastes Part 6
Treasures in Ecclesiastes Part 7

No comments:

Post a Comment