Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Homemade Fabric Softener, Snow Day and More: The Walnut Acre Daily - Wednesday January 14,, 2015

WORDS TO LIVE BY


God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. "Selah"  - Psalm 46:1-3

WORKING, LEARNING AND PLAYING TOGETHER


Snow Day !!!!!!

There really wasn't all that much snow on the ground but for this area it was just enough for the kids to get a day off from school. And of course a snow day means bundling up and heading out to get cold and wet. While they were out Mateah found a nest where our one hen still laying has been hiding her eggs. She brought me five frozen eggs.



A couple months ago I watched my sister make homemade fabric softener. It was very simple and I knew I wanted to make some too. It is very simple and inexpensive. Just six cups water, three cups white vinegar, and two cups hair conditioner. Since it's so simple to make I decided to have the kids help me. I put the six cups of water into a large bowl and then we put in the vinegar . . .


. . . added the hair conditioner . . .


. . . and stirred.


I put the finished product in an empty, washed laundry detergent bottle. I've tried this fabric softener on a load of towels and it does work. The towels were soft (though not quite as soft as I remember them being with store bought softener) static free and very lightly scented. I think next time I'll use a little more and see what the results are. 

The rest of the day we stayed busy cooking, cleaning (does that ever end), doing laundry (or that), reading, singing, drawing and playing. And I gave both boys haircuts. Austin really, really needed one and when Michael saw me cutting Austin's he wanted a haircut too.







IN THE KITCHEN

Normally on Wednesday evenings we are at church but all activities for the evening (including dinner) were canceled so I had to cook. We had a potato, cheese and bacon casserole, peas, peaches and butter bread.


FURRY, FEATHERED AND FOUR FOOTED FRIENDS

Amanda giving Sheena a morning snuggle.




TODAY'S QUOTE

There is no surprise more magical than the surprise of being loved. It is God's finger on man's shoulder. - Charles Morgan

DAILY DEALS


Linking Here


Monday - Inspire Me Monday, Much Ado About Monday A Round Tuit  Tuesday - One Project at a Time , Show and Share, Thursday Moonlight and Mason Jars Link Party, Inspiration, Great Idea Thursdays, Creative Inspirations, Artsy Fartsy Link Party, Create It Thursday Friday - Fridays Unfolded, Awesome Life Friday, Shabbilicious Friday, Home Sweet Home Saturday- My Favorite Things


2 comments:

  1. What a fun project for your kids! It looks like they're really enjoying it. Maybe you can get them to do the laundry next;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Thanks so much for linking up to Awesome Life Friday - I hope you'll come back again this week!

    ReplyDelete