Monday, August 5, 2013

Blueberry Banana Bread and More - The Walnut Acre Daily Monday August 5, 2013


WORDS TO LIVE BY

You are righteous, Lord,
    and your laws are right.

 The statutes you have laid down are righteous;

    they are fully trustworthy.
Psalm 119:137-138

WORKING, LEARNING AND PLAYING TOGETHER

The next few picture collages are from yesterday but I didn't get a post done yesterday so I thought I'd share them today. We decided to go up to the Humpback Picnic Grounds after church yesterday after church. CJ was at his parent's and Amanda didn't want to go so it was just Doug, Austin, Michael and me. We walked to one of the overlooks and then the boys wanted to go climb around on the rocks and explore a little. Austin, who always has an eye open for wildlife spotted a chipmunk, a lizard, a snake and a millipede. I thought Michael would be a little more cautious since he is usually a little afraid of heights but he was pretty adventurous and kept us a little nervous. 





We are on vacation (stay-cation) this week so Doug was home all day and got to work on one of his projects. He's putting a winch on the trailer and had lot's of help and supervision. 



Michael found a woodworking kit that he asked Doug to help him put together. It's some time of little wooden game. I winced when I saw how close Doug's fingers were to that hammer but I think he got by without getting his fingers hit. 



IN THE KITCHEN

I had some bananas that were getting overripe so I decided to make some Banana Blueberry Bread. I made two loaves this afternoon and the last I checked there was half of one loaf left. So I guess my family liked it. 


Blueberry Banana Bread

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

Mix white flour, whole wheat flour, salt and baking soda together in a bowl. Grease 2 loaf pans.

Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg and allow to blend into the butter mixture before adding second egg and vanilla extract. Beat mashed bananas into the mixture. Add flour mixture in small amounts while beating until just combined into a thick batter. Fold blueberries into the batter; pour into prepared pans. 

Bake in preheated over for 30-35 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing onto wire rack to cool completely. 




Hmmm, I think I know where some of that bread went!

 FEATHERED FRIENDS


Our chickens keep managing to get out of their coop and fence so today we just let them free range. These were some happy chickens. I think we'll let them do this more often. They go right back to the coop when it starts to get dark. 


READING AROUND THE WEB









TODAY'S QUOTE

8 comments:

  1. I've never made blueberry banana bread before, I've made banana chocolate chip bread and that was really good, sounds like a wonderful recipe, I'll have to give this one a try!! thanks for sharing, found you on wow us wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. the bread looks delicious - love blueberry, love banana, but have never put them in the same bread. I'll have to try it.
    The views on your hike are amazing! Looks like a wonderful 'staycation' week for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think staycations are the best - what lovely views - wonderful family time - the blueberry-banana bread looks delicious! I am delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did a staycation this year too. I love those pictures. We like to get to the mountains and hike when possible. That bread looks yummmmy! Thanks for sharing!

    Please join us again Thursday at:
    The HomeAcre Hop

    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much baking soda? I don't see a measurement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry. I'm glad you pointed that out. I've added that to the recipe, it's 1 teaspoon.

      Delete
  6. Sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing at I Made It! Monday. Can't wait to see what you link up this week.

    ReplyDelete