Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Walnut Acre Weekly - April 8 - 14, 2013

Words to Live By

 Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
1 Corinthians 15:58

Growing Green Things

This week I planted three rows of carrots and two rows of radishes. Michael helped me cover the radish seeds.  Some of the seeds in the starter trays are finally starting to sprout. It's so much fun to go out each day and see what else is coming up. So far there are some little tomato, pumpkin, watermelon and okra plants. 


Furry, Feathered and Four Footed Friends

Friday one of the roosters decided to fly over the fence so now their is a cover over their outdoor area. The flock is doing really well though, and we have a lot of fun watching them and gathering the eggs. 



Garage/Shop Projects

There were a lot of projects going on in and around the garage this week. 

CJ helped Doug put a new tire on the trailer. 


And Michael and CJ both helped Doug wash one of his trucks. Michael had already taken a shower and changed into pajamas when they decided to do this so he looks a little silly. He had so much fun though!


And all three vehicles got oil changes. 



Other Outdoor Fun

I think Spring has finally arrived for real and we had so much fun outside. When the weather is this nice we almost live outside.







One evening CJ and Austin were given the job of picking up sticks in the yard. I don't think they thought this was so fun but it needed to be done before it's time to start mowing again. I helped them for awhile too. 





In the Kitchen

I tried two new recipes this week. The first one was Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal and the second one was Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup. Both were well liked and will probably be regulars on our menu. 


Our new dishwasher came in this week and CJ and Doug picked it up Saturday. I'd love to have an under the counter dishwasher but to do that I would have to give up some cabinet space and I don't want to do that. So we opted for another portable dishwasher instead. This one is smaller and lighter than the old one and we really like it so far. Austin took the old one out to the garage to take apart and see what it looks like on the inside.


Homeschool Fun

The younger kids and I completed two unit studies this week - The Servant Girl Helps Naaman and Spring is Here.

Austin and Amanda continued their study of Acts, The Urinary System and some practical math. One evening Doug had them go out to one of the garden areas and calculate the square footage of that area and then the square footage of the area already planted. 


Books We Enjoyed This Week

I read these books with the younger kids this week. 





The first of these books I read with Austin and Amanda this week and the next two I started reading CJ and Michael. Both The Child's Story of the Bible and The Bobbsey Twins at Meadow Brook are free on kindle right now.



I bought these two books this week and they have been my spare time reading material. I haven't had a chance yet to get out and see what I can find although I did recognize a number of plants in the book as plants I've seen growing around here. 

Just Having Fun Together



Out and About

It was a busy week again.

Monday evening Doug took Austin and Michael to their Scout meetings. Michael was excited because he got to play Wiffle Ball. 

Tuesday evening I took Amanda to volunteer at the SPCA.




We evening we went to church.

Thursday evening Austin, Amanda and Michael went to Grandma's house for the evening and Doug, CJ and I went out to Applebee's for dinner.

Friday evening I had a meeting at church.

Saturday we took the kids clothes shopping. They were excited and I think we did well. Amanda is always hard to shop for but even she found some clothes that she really liked so I felt like we truly had a successful shopping trip. 

Today we were at church this morning. Doug and I both taught. The lesson in the PreK children's church class I had was about Building Your Life on Jesus. We talked about the foolish man who built his house on sand and the wise man who built his house on a solid rock.  I had them color some pictures that went with the lesson and then they got to build with blocks. It was a fun morning. This evening we went to prayer meeting. It was a wonderful evening! 



And that's a look into another busy week here at Walnut Acre. I sometimes get to the end of the week and wonder what we did all week. Then when I take a good look back I realize that a lot happened in the last week. 


~ Linking Here ~

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Love all your pictures. You had a busy week. Glad to hear your garden is coming along. We need to get out each morning this week to do a little. Now that the kids are home, it should go well. Do you add anything to your soil or is it native soil?

    I teach the Wednesday PreK (2-3) class as well. It can be a handful, but there are only three or four kids. You have a big class.

    ReplyDelete